Thursday, October 30, 2008

Camping

My biggest worry about this trip was not about doing a lot of driving, not about having to sleep in a tent, not about cooking over a campfire- it was about being able to shower. Call me what you will (Dad still calls me Princess, so that is ok!), but I need a shower, every day, otherwise I am just not a happy camper (uh, pun intended?). Without a shower, I feel dirty, smelly, and greasy, and it's not a way I like to be. So, I was worried about the camping. Luckily, even though we camped 6 out of 8 nights, we had showers (cold, but that was fine) every morning. Whew. So it was all good. Here's some photo evidence that we camped!

This was our first campsite in Lobito. This is in the morning- you can see everyone is bright eyed and bushy tailed! :)

Cooking breakfast

See, lady-towel-heads are evidence enough we've had showers. :)

This was our second campsite- after the farm. It was actually another farm, but we camped further up on the "mountain". It was a really beautiful site.

Our campsite in the early, early morning. Some of our campers (the photographer) were woken up really early by the sun, and captured some great pictures...

...like this one!

Now, the two nights we were down in Tumbwa (the desert place) we stayed in this house. It was nice enough.

And here we have indoor cooking. The one in blue was making bread in the pojke pot- it's like a little black cauldron- great because you can throw anything in there, and then just stick it in the fire. When we went on the pre-trip shopping trip, he insisted that he would make pojke pot bread, and that we needed to buy lots of flour. But then we reached this house, didn't think we'd be camping anymore and started giving the ole guy a really hard time about his bread. So, he stepped up to the plate and made some really delicious bread in the pojke!

7 comments:

Latvian Rider said...

We call that a dutch oven, and you can make some good sht in their.

Eileen said...

I have a dutch oven and it never occurred to me to make bread in it, but I make nearly every food imaginable (pizza, cornbread, quiche, sautés, etc in my cast iron skillet. I guess it's the same idea!

your trip looks fantastic. Was it expensive to organize and execute? Do you buy bottled water or purify? Tell us more! Looks beautiful!

Marite said...

Travel in Angola is expensive because everything (except petrol) is expensive here. Because we camped we did not spend as much as we could have- but to give you an idea- the guest how in which we stayed, which provided foam mattress beds, cold showers and use of kitchen facilities (but no food) cost $70USD a night. Also though, there is basically no tourist industry in Angola- so the few who have set up any kind of accommodations or tours can freely charge an arm and a leg for virtually nothing.

We brought along 3 large (18 litre) water bottles to start, and then bought more along the way.

I'm not sure what else to say about it! :)

Marite said...

Umm...that is supposed to say guest house, not guest how. :)

Marite said...

Oh, and that was $70 per night per person- so Joel and I paid $140 for a night in a room with two twin foam beds. Kinda rough.

bigZ LiLk said...

in australia, 'dutch oven' means something entirely different! does it have two meanings for anyone else?

Marite said...

Yeah Kez, Dutch Oven has a slang meaning as well- generally when a man farts in bed, and then pulls/pushes his girl under the covers to make her suffer. Disgusting practice really.