Friday, November 21, 2008

An unexpected and truly wonderful surprise

The following email just popped up in my inbox a second ago... unexpected, and truly wonderful... (details have been changed to preserve anonymity)

Dear Mara,

Mitch is in Advanced Language Arts this year. As an assignment they needed to write a letter to a person who has influenced them. Naturally, YOU were selected!!! ...I have to admit, I am a tad bit JEALOUS!!! (hee hee).


I will type you what Mitchell wrote...


"Dear Mrs. Putelis, (yes, MRS....)


You will be a teacher that I will remember for a long time. You are important to me because you were my first teacher. I was nervous on the first day of school but when you said my name, I felt better. After that day I wasn't nervous at all.


I'll never forget when we danced in the class to the Numa Numa song. You would play the song from the internet and we would dance all around the classroom. I told the other class and they danced, too. It was a fun time.


I especially liked when you let us have inside recess. The room that we got to play in was fun because it had a ball pit. We also played in the tubes that you can climb in. I had a fun time and I'm glad you took us there.

I'm in the fourth grade in Small Town, Ohio. I still remember my kindergarten class in China.

I just want to thank you for being a great kindergarten teacher.


Sincerely,
Mitchell"


...They had to write this letter in cursive. I must admit he has great penmanship!! He wanted to mail it to you, but then thought that this would be the best way for you to get it!

I KNOW he would LOVE to hear from you, if you have time to drop him an email!!!
We think of you every time we see your name on MSN pop up. Mitch is too scared to type to you on it... Hope you are well and will enjoy the letter and upcoming Holidays!!!

Fondly,
Mitch's Mom and Mitch


One of the kids in the following picture may be Mitchell as I remember him- but I won't tell you which one. ;)


Some school years are tougher than others. I have to admit, I've had a run of pretty trying ones since I left Shanghai. The two classes I had there were really spectacular, and while I loved every single one of my students as individuals, as far as classes go, the ones I had in Latvia really made me work for my money. This year is tough for all sorts of reasons- but of course, there are still plenty of kids I'd like to stuff in my pocket and take home with me.

It's nice to know, sometimes even long after the fact, that you've touched a life; that you're remembered. My time in Shanghai was all kinds of things- but generally speaking, at school it was good. I'll remember Mitch and his classmates for a long time too. :)

Oh, and if you're wondering what the Numa Numa song is... have a listen and a watch here.

No comments: