I hurt. I hurt a lot. I can't really sit. It hurts!!!
Joel and I went for a bike ride today. Along with the new apartment, I got a lease on a bike as well (the landlady left hers behind, and said I could use it- thanks GG!). Well, Joel's been pumped to ride his bike that his generous folks had sent over for him from Oz. So, first chance we had... we were off on our bikes.
Now, I have to say, today was a redeeming day for Latvia in my mind. There is a bike trail (fairly well maintained) all the way from Riga to Jurmala (the seaside) which I had heard of, but only saw for the first time today. Pretty nice! And the weather today was beautiful!!! Thank you, Mother Nature, for this small gift!
Did I mention that I hadn't been on a bike, like for real on a bike, in probably more than 15 years? Sure there was that one time in China that Eileen and I tried to do the Chinese bike riding thing (her riding, me sitting side-saddle on the back) only to end up wiping out in the middle of a thankfully not so busy bike lane with our stuff all over the road. And there was the one time in college that I rode my bike to campus, only to nearly get killed. Ok, maybe I didn't, but it sure felt like it... enough to make me abandon bike riding!
Anyway, needless to say that my behind is NOT used to sitting on a bike seat.
The way there (20km) wasn't so bad. In fact, the sun was shining, I had energy, and I was fairly impressed with how well I was doing in general so far. The way back was another story. By that point, my butt was sore. My legs were ok...in fact, they still are. But my butt, OW!!!
For the first 18km, we made it with me going pretty slow only because the bumps don't hurt as much when you go slowly over them. By the last 2km, I was standing more than I was sitting. When I got home, I sat down on the couch without thinking, and squealed in pain! We have to go into work tomorrow...but I'm thinking I might have to skip the bike ride for a day. And I might just have to stand in meetings. I'll figure something out.
Point is, my butt is SORE!!!
But, pretty impressive bike ride (40km in one day) for a girl who hasn't ridden a bike since her childhood!
(How you like THAT for a post?)
3 comments:
Come on...we need a picture of you on the bike AND with your sore butt! :)
Yeah... I thought of a picture on the bike... however... I'm thinking NOT on the picture of my sore butt. Nope. Not going to happen.
wow, i totally sympathize about the bike butt. I just got one for riding to school. I have just a teeny-weenie 15 minute ride, but my ass feels like somebody took a jackhammer to it! We need to build up a callous or something!
Post a Comment